Friday, October 19, 2012

OUR SECOND RIDE - October 17, 2012

It didn't take much to get Bill out and heading for the hills!  This time instead of turning right toward Shadow Mountain (local name for it), we headed onto the dirt at the end of our street and turned toward the left, headed for the radio tower.  I took a photo, but since it was late afternoon, the sun was in the west, so the tower is difficult to see in the photo.  There were still puddles of water and as we headed southwest a dirt bike passed us going fast - we didn't hear him until the buzzing was really loud and he was already past us when Bill steered away from the noise and said, wow, that scared me.  I reminded him that is why there is a rear view mirror. LOL  I have to admit, Grandpa and Grandma toodle along at 30 mph, sometimes 35 or 40, and cannot imagine hitting the 70mph (or 80?) the RZR is capable of.  We'll need Matthew to do that breaking in!


The trails look steep and scary from inside the RZR

Black dot (barely visible) is arrow to our house

 I got out to take a picture looking back toward our house without changing lens (above) and then bringing it closer in this one.  If you click the photo it will get slightly larger and you can see a darker brown rectangle. Yippee, right? That's our place.
 
This was when I was out taking photos - I walked ahead and saw quite a drop off, so when Bill drove up to me I told him to turn around (having scoped out a safe place for him to do so, 3 point turn!)... and then he drove back up without me! Too funny, but it only took a moment to walk up and climb in for the fun ride back down the lonnnnng grade which included a sharp right turn to not go up again on an even steeper grade.... well, I guess you had to be there, come visit! 

Up a different trail from the backside of the tower
I couldn't take a photo of California because of the sun's position - but you could have
seen it from here.  This is looking at Ash Meadows Preserve in the distance

And this is going back down into our valley....


No comments: